Remodeling Foreclosed Homes

Florida Licensed Architect
No. AR0007706


Call 305-552-5465, If you have a question or would like to discuss your project.  There is no charge for the initial consultation, if you own the Miami-Dade County property and would like to discuss the project you envision in detail.



Today there are many foreclosed properties for sale in Miami.  For those who have cash in hand and good credit, this may be an opportunity to buy their first home or to buy an additional investment property. But many homes are left in complete disrepair once the occupant moves out.  What is the best course of action for the new homeowner or investor? What should he be aware of? And what is possible with a foreclosed property? 

All of us, myself included, want to maximize the value of our investments.  One way to add value is to improve the foreclosed property.  There are actually many things a new homeowner can do without a general contractor or architect.  In fact, there are actually many improvements which do not require a permit in unincorporated Miami-Dade County.  The following is a list from the Miami-Dade County Building website at http://www.miamidade.gov/permits/exemptions.asp 

  • Surfacing of floors or slabs with carpet, tile, brick, wood, or Chattahoochee.

  • Kitchen cabinets, vanities or paneling installation inside the home. Any associated plumbing and electrical work may require a building permit.

  • Playground equipment for residential use.

  • Decorative reflective pools and/or fishponds with certain requirements. 

  • Ironwork for decorative purposes only

  • Interior or exterior painting and roof painting (water tight coatings require a permit).

  • Paving and drainage

  • Painting and wall sign.

  • Resurfacing, re-striping, seal coating of parking lot.

Some of these may require another type of permit.  See the website above for more details. 

Although I, like you, would want to cut corners and save the most money, careful forward planning and detailed project management can be less expensive than the possibility of making a costly error.  Mistakes in construction can delay a project and introduce unnecessary and unplanned costs.  Construction materials and labor are expensive.  Do you really want to take the risk? What is possible with a foreclosed property? 

A foreclosed property offers a rare opportunity to invest heavily in a property because the initial investment was smaller than it would have been normally.  Instead of having to live with certain peculiarities which come with a house, an architect can make suggestions on how to improve the floor plan and make it more livable or how to beautify the house and give it “curb” appeal. And once the architect finishes the plans, since he/she is well-versed in the construction process, he/she can work with the homeowner during the construction phase.  An experienced architect intimately knows the pitfalls of construction and has a working knowledge of construction law, including the Florida lien law.  In addition, an architect can make suggestions for protecting the homeowner for an unscrupulous or inexperienced contractor.

Planning ahead and using the services of an architect during the construction phase of a project can lead to a better outcome for the homeowner, especially those with little construction experience.  And again, avoiding a dispute with a contractor is much better than trying to fix one once it arises. 


If you would like to discuss with us a foreclosure you have just bought or have a question in reference to one you are about to buy, call 305-552-5465 or email me at MLC@UnitedArchs.com.   I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.  If you buy the property, and want to add or remodel it, call to set up an appointment for me to see the property.  There is no charge for the first visit, if the property is in Miami-Dade County.


Call 305-552-5465 or Email MLC@UnitedArchs.com to discuss your exciting project ideas.

With an exciting track record of executing world class projects for both public and private clients, United Architects has been in continuous operation since its founding in 1986. Please look at the testimonials or letters of reference recommending the firm. The corporate license number is below.

Contact Us

Office: 305-552-5465

Cell: 305-439-7898

Email: MLC@UnitedArchs.com

4000 Ponce de Leon Blvd.,

Suite 470

Coral Gables, Florida 33146

  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Houzz Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Add this image

© 2017 United Architects, Inc.  |  Corporate License:  AAC001377